Welcome to Fall 2021
Posted on August 12, 2021
We are thankful to everyone in our community – families, students, faculty, and staff – for contributing to Gold Coast Prep’s being able to offer a successful and safe in-person learning environment for the 2020-2021 school year. The combination of following best practices during a pandemic, adhering to guidance from medical organizations and professionals, and receiving support from the entire Gold Coast Prep community enabled this achievement. For the 2021-2022 school year, we have detailed a COVID-19 Plan with the aim of achieving another safe and successful year. Gold Coast Prep will monitor the local COVID-19 transmission environment and implement measures accordingly. Our plan provides an overview of what is in place to help reduce the likelihood of transmission at school and help keep our community safe during this pandemic. Our protocols continue to evolve as conditions and recommendations change (as recently as August 2021, IDPH issued updated guidance for schools.) We will inform families of any further adjustments to protocols to help everyone remain reasonably protected.
Our multi-layered protection model is based on guidance from:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
- Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)
- Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
For the 2021-2022 school year, only in-person learning and cohort quarantine-required distance learning will take place; as a general rule, virtual learning will not occur. Our plan is designed to promote a safe in-person learning environment. The key components of our COVID-19 Plan are as follows:
- COVID-19 vaccinations are strongly encouraged for all eligible community members.
- All students and adults on campus will wear masks when indoors, unless eating or drinking.
- Masks may be removed outside when local COVID-19 transmission levels are low and when individuals are appropriately socially distanced.
- Regular handwashing will be practiced.
- Cohorts will be separated to reduce the possibility of spread.
- Classes will be held in regular classrooms.
- Social distancing will be practiced, inside and outside.
- Daily self-reporting health questionnaire required for students.
- COVID-19 testing is available weekly.
Continue reading for details of each key component of the Gold Coast Prep COVID-19 Plan.